Tuesday, September 18, 2012

IS YOUR GYM EMPERIENCE

Intimidating?


How Fit Can You Get


Good Morning Readers,
I hope everyone is doing well and either had a good workout or has one planned for later today. I was conversing with someone yesterday who mentioned that even though they go to the gym they feel intimidated. This young lady indicated that her lack of experience, combined with all of the different equipment and the people who appear to know what they are doing, cause her to feel insecure.

When I first heard this, I felt somewhat disconnected from this emotion. I am relatively confident at the gym. However, yesterday evening when I returned to the gym to work out and network with the members to promote by new venture, I was reminded that this is an area that I am growing in. In many ways, as I mentioned in an earlier blog, I am an introvert and introducing myself to people I do not know can be very intimidating for me. It reminded me that being out of your comfort zone, whether it is at the gym or in social settings, is not easy at all.

My initial thought after realizing that I am familiar with being vulnerable and uncomfortable was, “Life Begins at the End of your Comfort Zone." Great saying but it takes a lot of courage to follow through. So what are the alternatives to going to the gym? You could build your own gym in your home however this could be very expensive. So what other easy alternatives are there if going to the gym is not your thing?

Staying fit does not necessarily require a great deal of equipment. Exercise balls are inexpensive and very effective if you have a good exercise routine. Also, jump ropes, small weights, ab rollers and other small items for fitness training are great for working out at homeHere is a link to inexpensive effective equipment for home or the gym. http://www.fivebelow.com/ 

In the past, I have used plastic gallon milk bottles filled to various levels as a substitute for weights. I encourage you to get creative!!! You will be able to do lunges, squats, arm curls, triceps kick backs and many other exercises using these simple substitutes for traditional weights, This will allow you to do things at home that you may feel uncomfortable doing in the gym.

Although I enjoy working out at the gym, working out at home is definitely another option as long as you have the determination and focus to do it. I have tried it and in fact that is where I started, but over time and as I progressed, I wanted to reach another level of fitness and decided to join the gym. There are real gains to working with machines depending on your desired results. Remember, to gain strength requires additional stress to your muscles. This means more weight and filling up the milk bottle has tangible limits. So if you are consistent with the home workouts there will come a time when you are no longer making progress.

The benefit of starting your new exercise plan at home is that eventually you will have gained enough knowledge and confidence regarding your fitness and workout that the gym will not be as intimidating. If not, you may want to start purchasing some equipment. If you decide to go this route, I encourage you to look for used items. Used equipment is usually available since many people with the best of intentions purchase exercise equipment but never use it. I also fall into this category with a weight bench and elliptical machine that are currently collecting dust.

As we move forward I am gong to begin posting various workouts along with alternatives that may be used at home. Once my website is up and ready, I will also be posting videos that will assist and support your goals. So if you are eager to gain more knowledge or are unfamiliar with equipment at the gym, try the home workouts I will be posting later today. Let me know if they work for you and let me know about some alternatives you may be using.

Have a great day, and great work out. Get up get moving and get FITT and remember, “CHIT CHAT WON’T BURN FAT.”
Jay

No comments: