Friday, September 14, 2012

GET INVOLVED

How Fit Can You Get


In Your Health Care
In early April 2010, I thought I was at my end. My health was deteriorating quickly and nobody could tell me why. I saw quite a few Doctors but no one including my Dermatologist, was able to determine why my skin was getting worse every day. I spent all day and night itching and burning with open wounds on my arms, backs legs, and face. Waking up every morning was very difficult and taking a bath or shower was pure torture. Since whenever my skin would get wet I would itch almost uncontrollably. 

I'd already stopped working out in October 2009, because I could not take the itching. In addition, I was experiencing non event injuries. Just walking or climbing stairs became an adventure since I did not know which joint was going to give out. This also contributed to me ceasing my workouts since I did not trust my body to hold and balance the weight.

I was done and I was looking for sustained relief. I really wanted to go home for a finally rest. Mentally exhausted and physically suffering, I wound up in the emergency room on Easter Sunday and subsequently saw a Doctor who was competent. See I was told I had eczema by a Board Certified Dermatologist. For years I was treated for that, and given various medications including oral and topical steroids that were destroying my body. My joints were inflamed from the oral steroids and injections and the topical creams were an expensive waste of money.

I went to a new primary physician, who I knew, because he was my primary some years earlier. I knew him to be competent, so I selected this physician. I did not hold out much hope, although I felt a little better, due to the prednisone, provided at the emergency room. However that is not a sustainable treatment plan. 

Upon entering the office, we greeted like old friends and discussed my situation. Doc instructed me to take my shirt off so he could take a look. He observed the scarring since the prednisone closed the open sores. He asked me to and I described what it was like and how it looked. "Does your skin come off in wet patches if you rub it?" I replied, “Yes” 

He showed me a picture I confirmed that, these are the symptoms, I was experiencing. He told me this is not eczema. It is bullous pemphigoid and it is easily treatable. I nearly fell on the floor. I certainly did not expect this. My mind was racing and I must have looked dumbstruck as I processed all of the difficulty, pain, discomfort and embarrassment.

Staying inside when it got hot, having to leave social affairs, because of the discomfort, and the long looks at my hand, when I offered it in greeting. Man I got more fist bumps during this time than a NBA player.

Sustainable relief was at hand and the new medications made all the difference in the world. It is not over yet but I feel so much better physically and mentally. Now when I work out I just sweat, and do not have to slow down.  Now I enjoy the beautiful sun again. My eyes are welling up as I write this. Making love to my beautiful wife who never complained about the messy sheets, or leaving the parties, is wonderful, as I am no longer preoccupied with perspiration.

Coming out of the darkness and back into a light changed my perspective on life and the people around me. No longer as critical about peculiar behaviors since I do not know what happened or is happening to them. Waiting for relief and doing your own homework is important.

DO NOT rely on the doctor’s diagnosis or treatment plan solely. You may wind up like me. Hey I have a riddle for the readers. What do you call someone who graduated last in their medical class? The first one to get it will get a free workout session or a written program for one body part.

And the last and most important, is get up, get moving, because your health, whether poor or good is not guaranteed. If you want to live well, you must seize the day and stop wasting time and energy wishing for change. Be the change you want to see in yourself. I want to see a healthier community and world. This is my passion my dream is becoming a reality in front of my face. 

I took one step towards my dream and God has taken five steps towards it. Take that step because if you do not someone else will have you taking steps towards their dream.

Stay Focused, Make It Fun and remember, "CHIT CHAT WON'T BURN FAT."
 Enjoy your weekend

Jay, 

No comments: