Wednesday, April 16, 2014

REGAIN CONTROL by




GOING BACK INSIDE



As I navigate this process of regaining control of my life from cigarettes and the conventionality demanded by today's world, I am learning some life lessons. I have a better understanding what this struggle, addiction, is really like to unleash yourself. Seems not to matter whether it be alcohol, cigarettes, food or another item or practice that needs to change. This is a real struggle for anyone at any time, at any place or any where.

Just yesterday, a little voice said to me you are doing really well, why not have a cigarette. I thought about that for a minute and it seemed to make sense at first. Then I had another thought, why do you want to provide yourself with a negative reward for doing a positive thing. So I did not reward myself with the cigarette that would only make my journey longer and possibly harder or even impossible if I adopt/embrace that mindset. I have to admit though in the past that made perfect sense. The Id does not like change and works very hard to maintain what is familiar.

Our comfort with what is familiar is often in contrast to what we really want for ourselves. Personally I'd like to live a really healthy life and in many ways I do, except for smoking. I have been aware of the contradiction for many years but not consciously in the the manner that I am presently. Knowing these things are killing me and even smoking while writing about the benefits of exercise; awareness of how the foods you eat impact your life; and increasing your chances of living well by changing what is familiar to what is required.


Your journey may be different than mine but I am betting some of this sounds familiar. Your biggest enemy may not be the haters or your friends and family. It is insidious because this enemy hides in plan sight but it is very difficult to identify because it is familiar. It is you. Who is more familiar and comfortable with you than you. With all the noise in the world these days we rarely have time to be quiet and go inside. I was very fortunate the other day to have that thought during a quiet moment where I could carefully examine it and see that it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

Deeper thought maybe a requirement for change. So adding meditation to the the scenario may be what is needed. I used to do this on the regular during a major change in lifestyle earlier in my life. I gradually turned my attention from self development to community, policy and staff development. In other words, I allowed the outside world to takeover despite the fact that my primary obligation, my children where off on there own. For those of you who are looking to improve your lives you may need to turn back inside for the answers to the questions you currently avoid. Or to identify the blocking beliefs and thoughts that keep you stuck.

I hope you all have much success in your present and future endeavors. Keep following and I will keep you updated cause I am certainly going to  share what I learn during this process to my weight loss/ fitness clients and colleagues. 

#smokingcessation #Lifestylechange #nosmoking #goalsetting

No comments: