Wednesday, September 3, 2014

NUMBERS DO NOT




LIE


It has been 70 days or 10 weeks since I last smoked a cigarette. So zero is the first number and the second number is 490 or the amount of money I have saved by not smoking. The third number is 124 over 72 which was my blood pressure the last time it was measured. The fourth number is 211 lbs so unlike many others who quit smoking I have lost weight rather than gaining it. The last number is more important to me and it is my body fat which is down to 19.7 with 20.2% considered excellent for a male my age.

So at 56 and after almost 40 years of smoking I have been fortunate to stop before any serious health crisis other than elevated blood pressure. I do consider myself very fortunate and blessed to continue to be in good health since I have not always followed the advice I give as it regards prevention of disease and illness. I was having a difficult time continuing to write and lecture about the benefits of disease prevention while I continued to smoke cigarettes. I believe they call it cognitive dissonance when you hold or propose to hold a belief but act in a manner that contradicts that belief.

So I am proud to be able to say these words when appropriate I do not smoke. Cigarettes controlled my life in some manner for years and it feels great to be set free of this terrible addiction. I thank God for giving me the strength and common sense to finally stop trying to stop smoking and stop. Just as former smokers said to me for years, "when you are ready you will stop," and they were right. In the past I was not ready and was constantly trying and convincing myself that I had done my best. Well it was not my best and when I finally gave it 100% I was successful.

Going forward I can write lecture and discuss health and disease prevention without feeling like a hypocrite. So for you folks out there who may be struggling with something that you either need to do or need to stop I hope I am an inspiration for you to finally conquer your demons and live the the life you really want. So go ahead get up get moving and remember, "CHIT CHAT WON'T BURN FAT."

No comments: