Sunday, January 6, 2013

FIFTY FIVE FIT AND


How Fit Can You Get


FINE






On this eve of my 55 birthday, I find myself blessed to be healthy fit and feeling well. Devoid of any chronic illnesses I am happy to be here sharing this planet with so many friends and family. I began consciously caring for my health and welfare around 30 after a serious back injury caused by a traffic accident. I could hardly pick up my daughter and for the first time in my life I questioned my ability to protect myself and my family. 30 years old I was being told that I would not fully recover even with surgery. The treatment plan for pain management was not acceptable to me. Now approaching 55 years old in less than 13 hours I am fit and my health is fine.

I tell you this not to brag but to encourage you no matter your status to not give up hope. You have the ability to improve your health but you need to take charge of your health in a conscious and informed fashion. I listened to the doctors for the diagnosis not their prognosis since they did not know me or the barriers I’d already overcome. Some of these barriers should have stopped me in my tracks particularly if I listened to the doctors on several occasions as a child and young adult. Their words were cold and deceiving as they pretended to know me and assumed that I would be their average patient. Take your actuarial charts and burn them baby I do not fit your mold and neither do you.

So for the first time at age 30 I began consciously making decisions and doing something about my health. Weight resistance was my program of choice and to this day I still love lifting weights and it has served me well. Hard work and determination to be better along with consistent attention to my health and I am blessed to be free of many of the chronic illnesses that are impacting the lives of my family, friends and peers. I thank God and pray for those who are experiencing a reduced quality of life due to illness. May you be blessed as I have, with the gift of recovery and the motivation and energy to become a pro-active advocate and participant in your wellness plan.

I encourage you first and foremost to stop being a patient and become a consumer of health care. The difference is more than perception or rhetoric and it requires active participation in the process. In fact it really requires you to take the lead once the diagnosis is verified by at least 2 sources. I am reminded to get a  second opinion every time I see the scars on my skin because if I had I would have been diagnosed and treated early without the scarring. Take a lesson from me and actively participate. Ask questions, investigate medications and treatment plans, research your doctor’s history of success and make certain you are making decisions about your treatment and wellness. A good confident professional will appreciate your participation and welcome your input.

A good place to start is the internet since there are certified websites that can assist you in building your knowledge base. In fact a couple of years ago my mother was ill with a rash and low grade fever for several weeks despite seeing several doctors. My older sister did some research on Web Md and actually got the diagnosis before the doctors did. We told him what we thought and he agreed and admitted that it was not his first thought. She was treated and recovered quickly from what seemed to be a mysterious and debilitating illness. Our participation made a big difference.

In most cases though we will have to rely on the medical professionals for the diagnoses but once we have it and we are armed with our own knowledge base regarding treatment we do have a choice although it does not always seem so. The body is built to heal and will often do so without highly intrusive treatments such as surgery, long term pain management, or other medications that negatively impact other areas of your health. Health and wellness is not the goal of the medical profession since they do not believe they can make money with wellness. They are focused on diagnoses and management since it is the management that keeps us coming back and fills their coffer. If their focus was wellness you would not have to manage your condition over long periods of time.

But do not point your finger at the medical profession. Ask not, what can the doctor do for me? Ask what can I do for me? Hopefully in this New Year you have already started and I believe many of you have since the gym attendance seems to be on the uptick right now. If you are one of the new or returning gym members I encourage you to continue and pick up the pace next week. If you haven’t there is still plenty of time to Get Up Get Moving on the road to a healthier lifestyle for you and your loved ones. On this eve of my 55th birthday I am reminded of something my elders often said, “Thank God I have my Health.” Happy New Year Everyone and remember………

“CHIT CHAT WON’T BURN FAT”

No comments: