Wednesday, October 10, 2012

AM I


How Fit Can You Get



LOSING CONTROL OF MY BRAND











Recently a friend of mine texted me and said, Google your brand and see what happens. So I did and my brand, “CHIT CHAT WON’T BURN FAT,” came right up and went directly to my blog. I thought great barely noticing all of the other sites using it. I texted back and said great. The next communication made me take a closer look and when I did, I realized the brand was everywhere. My first thought was copyright/trademark infringement.

When I spontaneously came up with the spiffy saying, it was because 2 of my workout partners, Betty and Dave like to chit chat. It was just a quick little saying that caught on. Before I decided to use it, I checked with the Federal Trademark Commission and no one was using this brand. The literature indicated that because of its brevity I did not have to apply for a copyright and so the brand is mine. Let us be clear about that first.

I am not really sure of the next steps although I thought I was this morning. After watching a TED video entitled, “3 Ways to Lose Control of Your Brand,” I am not so sure. I think communication is required first since the more they use it the more popular it will become. However without communication it is infringement and there are clear laws that prohibit this activity. I am happy it is becoming popular and do not want unintended consequences but when using, “CHIT CHAT WON’T BURN FAT,” all roads lead to me, Jay Henry.

So if you are going to use it I’d appreciate it if you credit me with it and attach the link to its origin http://purposedrivenpeoplesspace.blogspot.com/. Also it would be wise to not produce products with the trademark phrase or any portion of it. I encourage you to continue using it but let’s talk. 

Send me an e-mail and we can come to an agreement. Business not piracy will be a welcomed outcome by all. I am choosing to avoid the conflict of legal action by being practical and fair. I pray you choose the same.

So let’s talk business and until we do a word to the wise is Get Up Get Moving and remember,

“CHIT CHAT WON’T BURN FAT” started here.

No comments: